Thursday, June 27, 2013


Education and its views today has become politically complex. You can say that our education system has many broken areas and it has many lost pieces to be found. I often ask myself the question, can the pieces to the puzzle be solved and challenged in a way that it helps to bring methods, policies, practices and instruction to education that can be deemed fair, just and appropriate for our students?
Each and every person should have the option and the opportunity to attend college regardless of what their race, color, creed or religion is. The article that I selected is "Obama’s student loan rules are denying blacks in disproportionate numbers." I agree and respect the Obama Administration in what they are trying to do for all students that are attending and wanting to attend college by allocating, dispensing and trying to stabilize funds that are being offered to college students and their parents.  In my opinion, I feel that every student should be able to attend the college of their choice no matter what the cost may be.

I can attest to the new student loan rules. Obama’s new student loan rules are denying not only blacks in disproportionate number but it is affecting all students’ not just minorities.  Funding for all public and private institutions are being effected in great ways. School s are laying off teachers, reducing of staff, some institutions are doing away with certain degrees and athletic programs, less scholarships are being offered,  enrollment is on the decline and the list just goes on and on.
Due to the economy and life’s circumstances, my household income has changed tremendously.  Just a couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to apply for a Parent  Plus Loan for my son and I was denied the loan amount due to some blemishes on my credit report. If it was not for the hard efforts of my son’s financial advisor, he might not be able to attend school this coming fall. His advisor was able to find the funds for him and all of his tuition and expenses for the 2013-2014 school term is paid in full including housing, meals and books. We were very fortunate and very blessed. But how many students in the same situation that we were in are able to come out on top and are able to find other resources and funding to help pay for their college tuition?  Yes, I do believe in so many ways that “The tougher credit criteria’s are having a disparate impact on underrepresented minority students….but let’s say all students are having a disparate impact , the very ones that stand to benefit the most from a college education.” (Strauss, 2013)

Reference
Strauss, V. (2013). Obama’s Student loan rules are denying blacks in disproportionate numbers. The Washington Post. Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2013/06/26/obamas-student-loan-rules-are-denying-blacks-in-disproportionate-numbers/?print=1

1 comment:

  1. Student loans are the resources that play the financial aspects of funding our education. Right now, my children are still very young but funding for college has always been the big topic. When my daughter and I talk about where she wants to go for college, she always worries about the funding for it. I hope that by then I will be able to help pay for her to go to a college she's been accepted to. But as for now, her college savings account is what I have now and maybe be approved for student loans in the near future.

    Daisy Q.

    ReplyDelete